When you try to eat or harvest fruit out of season, the results are disappointing to say the least. The same can be said of brand building. Building a brand is a deliberate process of planting, cultivating, WAITING, and harvesting when the time is right. When we try to accelerate the results, we run the risk of being disappointed, disenchanted, or worse… disengaging from the process.
In this episode learn when to plant, and how to know when it’s your season to reap the fruit of your labors.
*** This episode is dedicated to the memory of the shooting victims of Charleston, SC on June 17th.***
We live in a world of pretenders. Myriad social media platforms testify to our ability to present “edited narratives” of our lives. But when it comes to branding, pretending can be a reckless gamble. In this episode, I share the power of authenticity, the risks and the rewards.
Many of us want success; but fewer of us are willing to do what it takes to actually get there. When we allow ourselves to become distracted by time wasting activities or caught up in a mundane, life routine, we lose track of our true mission and grow further away from our goals. In this episode Dr. Shante reveals some of the bad habits that cause us to stagnate and offers strategies for moving forward.
After viewing this episode, I invite you to tweet your feedback @DrShanteSays or leave a Review on iTunes.
Good seeds can’t grow in bad soil. Sometimes our lack of success comes from being in the wrong environment, where we find ourselves being constantly depleted instead of renewed. In this episode I share strategies to help you uproot and replant yourself in the kind of “soil” that will allow you to blossom. After watching this episode, I invite you to leave a review on iTunes and share your feedback @DrShanteSays on Twitter and Instagram.
We fall down, but do we always get up? For many aspiring entrepreneurs and influencers, hearing the word, “NO” shakes our confidence to the core. In this episode I share my insight about shifting the power of NO and removing the sting of rejection once and for all.
You might know him as the Power Forward for the Atlanta Hawks or one of Duke’s most memorable alums, but off the court, Elton Brand is a serial entrepreneur, who joined me during a recent visit to Chicago to share his keys to winning in the business game.
Elton Brand is an alum of Duke University and the #1 Draft Pick of the 1999 NBA Draft class. He has garnered an impressive 16 year career in the NBA and currently plays as a power forward for the Atlanta Hawks.
He is also the CEO of Milk Media Studios and owns several tech startups.
In this podcast, Elton dispels some common entrepreneurial myths regarding what it really takes to get your vision off the ground and offers some wise words for entrepreneurs struggling with self-doubt.
Elton’s Action Steps:
- Do your research before partnering with others
- Use the momentum of one success to build another
- Bootstrap if you can; Big Investors = Big Expectations
- Start Small; Show the Potential of Your Vision
- “There’s a lot of sharks out there; it’s their job to take your money.”
- “I was still learning the business, but I believed in myself; believed in my brand.”
- “Trust the system; Set a goal, execute, but be prepared to walk away”
- “I’ve gotten a lot of good pitches on LinkedIn. It’s a place for serious entrepreneurs”
- Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/)
- From Good to Great by Jim Collins (http://ow.ly/MSwwQ)
- The Long Tail by Chris Anderson(http://ow.ly/MSwCb
- [01:13] A Leap of Faith into the World of Film
- [01:48] Before Christian Bael was Batman
- [02:45] You Don’t Have to be an Expert to Start
- [03:30] A Gamble Pays Off
- [04:45] Building Momentum
- [05:20] Becoming a Parallel-preneur
- [06:00] Having impact with limited resources
- [07:05] Polishing your Pitch
- [8:00] Assessing Risks & Moving Past Adversity
- [9:30] Bootstrapping your startup
- [10:15] Finding the right people for your team
- [10:50] What Sharks Really Do
- [11:55] Trusting the System
- [13:37] Good Reads for Entrepreneurs
Be sure to add your comments below or via Twitter @DrShanteSays
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
How Fear Manifests Physically in Your Body: ([1:18])
- Entrepreneurship is perceived as risky and can generate the same physical reactions (Anxiety, stress, etc.) as sky-diving or bungee jumping. ([1:20])
- Money is a stressor. Walking away from guaranteed, direct deposit, security for something that is not guaranteed can form into a fear. ([2:00])
About the Chemical Reactions of Fear/ Stress Hormones ([2:50])
- Adrenaline: Heart races, energy surge, jittery feeling … “Am I Really Going To Do This?” ([2:58])
- Cortisol: Increased sugar to the bloodstream. The feeling of being trapped. “I Can’t Make A Decision.” ([3:41])
- Shortness of Breath ([4:10])
How Fear (Stress) Impacts Your Body – with Special Guest, Dr. Ryan Powell ([4:18])
- Your body doesn’t know the difference between a Bear and a Bill. ([4:43])
- In stressful situations, hormones and chemicals are fired to give you the energy to either fight or flight [a bear]. ([5:00])
- If you are in on-going constant state of stress [from stress worries ]then: ([5:16])
- Your heart is always beating fast
- Your blood sugar is always high, which can lead to:
- Heart problems
- Weakened immune system.
- Weight gain
- Other related illnesses.
- Mood changes due imbalanced hormones
- Examples of “Bears” scaring you away from the path to Entrepreneurship: Start-Up Costs, Lack of Time, Lack of Knowledge. ([6:04])
- If instead of taking action, you constantly worry over your fears, your body thinks you’re in a constant state of danger. ([6:38])
- Your body does not have the opportunity to restore to its normal hormone levels and balance. ([7:05])
- Shante uses Super Mario’s Star Power as an example. The adrenaline rush is only supposed to be momentary. ([7:20])
About Simple and Healthy Solutions to Fear:
- Remember to Take A Deep Breath ([8:40])
- Create a plan that gives you that same peace. ([10:23])
- Sleep! ([11:03]) Fear can be causing you to lose sleep. You need to reboot, so you can perform at optimal level. ([11:23])
About Cognitive Dissonance ([12:05])
- When there are conflicting attitudes/beliefs in the mind at once. ([12:43])
- Living Out Your Dreams vs. Getting Up, Going to Work, and Working on Someone Else Dream ([12:50])
- Reinvest Your Skills into Your Own Dreams ([13:55])
Coping with Cognitive Dissonance: We Eat! ([14:07])
- Food is predictable, comfortable, and familiar. Many of us are overweight because we are eating our fears. ([15:48])
- We make excuse for our eating: “I deserve this”. ([15:21])
About The Healthiest Way to Cope and Manage Fear ([15:53])
- Confront your Fears with Authentic action ([16:03])
- Authentic action leads the facilitation of your dream ([16:12])
- The Vending Machine – it’s right there in front of you. Just take action—don’t leave your dreams in the vending machine for someone else to snatch! ([16:22])
Top 3 Podcast Takeaways
- “When you live below your potential, you are in a constant tug-of-war between who you are and who you want to be.” ([12:05])
- “Take responsibility for the actions you are NOT taking.” ([15:53])
- You are feeding your Fears! No pop, no pizza, no donut, can ever compare to the satisfaction of actually getting out there in pursing full throttle what it is that you were born to do!” ([14:07])
Bonus: ”Take action, make the connections, do what it is necessary! It can save your life” ([16:22])