You might know him as the Power Forward for the Atlanta Hawks or one of Duke’s most memorable alums, but off the court, Elton Brand is a serial entrepreneur, who joined me during a recent visit to Chicago to share his keys to winning in the business game.
Elton Brand is an alum of Duke University and the #1 Draft Pick of the 1999 NBA Draft class. He has garnered an impressive 16 year career in the NBA and currently plays as a power forward for the Atlanta Hawks.
He is also the CEO of Milk Media Studios and owns several tech startups.
In this podcast, Elton dispels some common entrepreneurial myths regarding what it really takes to get your vision off the ground and offers some wise words for entrepreneurs struggling with self-doubt.
Elton’s Action Steps:
- Do your research before partnering with others
- Use the momentum of one success to build another
- Bootstrap if you can; Big Investors = Big Expectations
- Start Small; Show the Potential of Your Vision
- “There’s a lot of sharks out there; it’s their job to take your money.”
- “I was still learning the business, but I believed in myself; believed in my brand.”
- “Trust the system; Set a goal, execute, but be prepared to walk away”
- “I’ve gotten a lot of good pitches on LinkedIn. It’s a place for serious entrepreneurs”
- Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/)
- From Good to Great by Jim Collins (http://ow.ly/MSwwQ)
- The Long Tail by Chris Anderson(http://ow.ly/MSwCb
- 01:13 A Leap of Faith into the World of Film
- 01:48 Before Christian Bael was Batman
- 02:45 You Don’t Have to be an Expert to Start
- 03:30 A Gamble Pays Off
- 04:45 Building Momentum
- 05:20 Becoming a Parallel-preneur
- 06:00 Having impact with limited resources
- 07:05 Polishing your Pitch
- 8:00 Assessing Risks & Moving Past Adversity
- 9:30 Bootstrapping your startup
- 10:15 Finding the right people for your team
- 10:50 What Sharks Really Do
- 11:55 Trusting the System
- 13:37 Good Reads for Entrepreneurs
Be sure to add your comments below or via Twitter @DrShanteSays