The Fear Series Part 3: Is Fear Making You Fat?
In the finale of the Fear Series, Dr. Shante enlists health expert Dr. Ryan Powell to to explain how fear is affecting our waistlines and overall health.
SHOW NOTES: EPISODE 003: Is Fear Making You Fat?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
How Fear Manifests Physically in Your Body: ([1:18])
- Entrepreneurship is perceived as risky and can generate the same physical reactions (Anxiety, stress, etc.) as sky-diving or bungee jumping. ([1:20])
- Money is a stressor. Walking away from guaranteed, direct deposit, security for something that is not guaranteed can form into a fear. ([2:00])
About the Chemical Reactions of Fear/ Stress Hormones ([2:50])
- Adrenaline: Heart races, energy surge, jittery feeling … “Am I Really Going To Do This?” ([2:58])
- Cortisol: Increased sugar to the bloodstream. The feeling of being trapped. “I Can’t Make A Decision.” ([3:41])
- Shortness of Breath ([4:10])
How Fear (Stress) Impacts Your Body – with Special Guest, Dr. Ryan Powell ([4:18])
- Your body doesn’t know the difference between a Bear and a Bill. ([4:43])
- In stressful situations, hormones and chemicals are fired to give you the energy to either fight or flight [a bear]. ([5:00])
- If you are in on-going constant state of stress [from bills]then: ([5:16])
- Your heart is always beating fast
- Your blood sugar is always high, which can lead to:
- Heart problems
- Weakened immune system.
- Weight gain
- Other related illnesses.
- Mood changes due imbalanced hormones
- Examples of “Bears” scaring you away from the path to Entrepreneurship: Start-Up Costs, Lack of Time, Lack of Knowledge. ([6:04])
- If instead of taking action, you constantly worry over your fears, your body thinks you’re in a constant state of danger. ([6:38])
- Your body does not have the opportunity to restore to its normal hormone levels and balance. ([7:05])
- Shante uses Super Mario’s Star Power as an example. The adrenaline rush is only supposed to be momentary. ([7:20])
About Simple and Healthy Solutions to Fear:
- Remember to Take A Deep Breath ([8:40])
About Cognitive Dissonance ([12:05])
- When there are conflicting attitudes/beliefs in the mind at once. ([12:43])
- Living Out Your Dreams vs. Getting Up, Going to Work, and Working on Someone Else Dream ([12:50])
- Reinvest Your Skills into Your Own Dreams ([13:55])
Coping with Cognitive Dissonance: We Eat! ([14:07])
- Food is predictable, comfortable, and familiar. Many of us are overweight because we are eating our fears. ([15:48])
- We make excuse for our eating: “I deserve this”. ([15:21])
About The Healthiest Way to Cope and Manage Fear ([15:53])
- Confront your Fears with Authentic action ([16:03])
Top 3 Podcast Takeaways
- “When you live below your potential, you are in a constant tug-of-war between who you are and who you want to be.” ([12:05])
- “Take responsibility for the actions you are NOT taking.” ([15:53])
- You are feeding your Fears! No pop, no pizza, no donut, can ever compare to the satisfaction of actually getting out there in pursing full throttle what it is that you were born to do!” ([14:07])
Bonus: ”Take action, make the connections, do what it is necessary! It can save your life” ([16:22])
The post The Fear Series Part 3: Is Fear Making You Fat? appeared first on Branding for Believers Podcast.