In life, there will be many moments that don’t make the highlight reel…moments that we’d like to forget. But for Derreck Kayongo, those are the moments that served as confirmation that he was meant to change the world. After fleeing civil war in Uganda, Derreck took a simple idea and transformed it into a global, health initiative. Listen as he shares the power of persevering in the face of failure.
After listening to this episode, I invite you to tweet your feedback @DrShanteSays or leave a review on iTunes.
About the Host, Dr. Shante Bishop
Dr. Shante is a nationally recognized brand strategist with a client portfolio that includes talent from HGTV, NBC Network, and the National Basketball Association (NBA). Her work has been featured in Forbes, JET Magazine, Fox Network, and WCIU Chicago.
She is also the CEO of Design Her Label where she equips entrepreneurs and influencers with the tools to build and believe BIGGER.
In this podcast, Dr. Shante interviews Derreck Kayongo, founder of the Global Soap Project, where recycled bars of hotel soap are reformulated and distributed around the world to countries with limited access to basic health care.
Episode Action Steps:
- Don’t get out of the game, keep playing
- Run to your strengths; don’t compete trying to beat someone at THEIR game
- Read, David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell
- Don’t limit apps to technology; reframe apps as a way to transport your ideas all over the world
- Find inspiration in your own story
- Giving back is more than just giving money
- Truth is at the intersection of success and failure
Road Map to Success by Derreck Kayongo
- [02:07] Vision from a Bar of Soap
- [03:53] It takes steadfastness to do big things
- [05:38] Accessing every tool in your toolkit
- [06:57] Confirmation through failure
- [09:29] Failing Big
- [10:20] Platitudes Won’t Do
- [12:18] Finding Inspiration in Yourself
- [14:19] Deal with your issues
- [14:50] Don’t overlook who you’re becoming
- [16:04] Document Your Journey
- [17:45] Don’t get out of the game
- [21:00] Fight the Goliath’s in Your Life Using YOUR strengths
Be sure to add your comments and feedback via Twitter @DrShanteSays